Friday, November 21, 2008

OverDrive

Yes, I know, it appears that I skipped a lesson. I did all the reading for the Google Docs lesson, but I need to be at work to do the actual document (I'm going to use some material I've already created and see if it will work in Google Docs). So, I will do a blog about that in a couple of days, once I return to work (I'm off now).
I can't believe I waited so long to use OverDrive! WOW! I'm a big fan, now. I thought it would take me too long to download the console onto my home computer. It was really very easy. What took me longest was trying to find something to download, there were so many good choices. I wanted to download some music and then burn it to a CD for an upcoming road trip. However, (I didn't check ALL music, just some of it), it appears that you cannot burn the music to a CD. I did download a lovely Palestrina Mass (Renaissance music is so soothing and has the best harmonies) and listened to it while I tried to find a downloadable book. I was even singing along, although I've never learned this particular music. I will try to remember to play it a few more times before it goes off my computer. (I don't have any other downloadable devices). Finding a book took a bit of time. The fiction books I wanted were not there - the fiction books appear to be lots of popular, lately-published stuff. I must have different tastes. I like literary mysteries and espionage novels. So, I turned to nonfiction, hoping to find something short that we could use on the road trip. Many of the books I wanted couldn't be burned to a CD, but there was still a good selection. I finally found "Plato in 90 Minutes", which should please my husband, and, hopefully, teach me something about Plato. Maybe I'll learn what all the fuss is about. (smile). And, let's not forget what a boon this is for our customers. Lots more stuff from which to select. I'll certainly encourage them to look at OverDrive, particularly if they can't find an audiobook on the shelf.

1 comment:

Terzah said...

Great comments Laurel. That's exactly the kind of enthusiasm we hope to pass on to patrons. (And also you passed it on to me--now I'll try to get the console on our new laptop!)